Monday, January 7, 2008

"I'm dead. That sucks" Final post from military blogger Andrew Olmsted

This is a beautiful final post from military blogger Andrew Olmsted in Iraq. This man asked that his final blog be published in the even of his death. Unfortunately, he was killed when his team was ambushed in Iraq on January 3, 2008.

Whether or not you agree with the war in Iraq, it's amazing that we have these soldiers willing to do what is asked of them, and be willing to sacrifice their lives. I've been going through some of his old writings, and encourage you to at least read his final blog post here: http://andrewolmsted.com/archives/2008/01/final_post.html

Here is a sample:

"This is the hardest part. While I certainly have no desire to die, at this point I no longer have any worries. That is not true of the woman who made my life something to enjoy rather than something merely to survive. She put up with all of my faults, and they are myriad, she endured separations again and again...I cannot imagine being more fortunate in love than I have been with Amanda. Now she has to go on without me, and while a cynic might observe she's better off, I know that this is a terrible burden I have placed on her, and I would give almost anything if she would not have to bear it. It seems that is not an option. I cannot imagine anything more painful than that, and if there is an afterlife, this is a pain I'll bear forever.

No comments: