Saturday, June 21, 2008

Get Smart, Ghostbusters, and Mustard Jokes

Lisa and I saw "Get Smart" with my parents and my brother Troy this afternoon.  I went in with fairly low expectations, afraid that all the funny moments were in the trailer.  I was pleasantly surprised, and really enjoyed the film.  A few plot points were  pretty well telegraphed and there was some really bad green screen work during the airplane chase scene, but there was enough humor throughout to make up for the other flaws.  The chemistry between Steve Carell  and Anne Hathaway was very strong, and seeing Alan Arkin in some fight scenes was really funny.  Dwayne Johnson (aka "The Rock") has charisma and some really good comedic chops.  I never really saw the show when I was younger, so I can't compare the movie to it, but my mom said that while it was quite different from the original, she still enjoyed it quite a bit.  I don't think I would buy it on DVD, but I would be willing to see a sequel.  The hint of the new agent at the end of the film was really funny, but I won't spoil the ending.  Overall, it was quite a bit better than I thought it would be, which is always a nice surprise.

Plus, it was my brother's birthday and I finally got to give him his Dr. Peter Venkman, glow in the dark Ghostbusters shirt that I bought over a month ago.  My brother is my closest friend, (outside of my wife) and he means the world to me. We hung out after the movie, had dinner and had a really great time.  I haven't laughed that hard in quite a while, especially about mustard and salt water taffy.  (Trust me, it was hilarious, you had to be there) and it was fun to just unwind and relax. Happy birthday man! I love you!  It's been a great three decades, so let's do at least twice more that amount!

No comments: